Featured image: William George Richardson Hind, watercolour, “Buffalo on the Prairie,” (c. 1863). Source Library and Archives Canada [LAC], Mikan no. 2835757 .

Advertisement, Nor’-Wester (9 February 1863), 2:

“Movements of the Sioux,” Nor’-Wester (11 June 1863), 3:

From the St. Paul Press. May 28

Mr. S.H. Tarbell, a government messenger, arrived in the city last night from Pembina direct having left there May 18, bringing some important intelligence from the Sioux under Little Crow. He reports that celebrated chieftain at St. Joseph, about 30 miles west of Pembina. He was encamped there on the 18th, with about 25 lodges, and 110 warriors. Mr. Tarbell conversed with the Catholic Priest at St. Joseph who was in Pembina the day before he started. The priest reports that Little Crow had come into that region to get privilege from the Hudson’s Bay Company to settle in their territory, and to procure the cession of a tract for their occupancy. The Hudson’s Bay Company refused to grant this request, as they had no land to dispose of thus, and the Indian Tribes in their territory would not allow the Sioux to come there.

Little Crow said ‘he had served the Americans some smart tricks and would shoe them some more,’ He believed ‘every Sioux as dead, and that they will fight to the last.’ There were 800 lodges at Grand Coteau under Sweet Corn and Standing Buffalo. These two chiefs were disposed to make peace if it could be done with safety to their own persons. Number of Indians who had not been concerned in any of the outrages, are also anxious for peace, and are ready to give themselves up.

The Red Lake Chippewas had come into Pembina to make a treaty of peace with the Sioux. The Sioux had plenty od ammunition buried at Table Rock in the Sheyenne. The little boy who had been taken prisoner at the Old Crossing, was reported safe.

Hostile Sioux had been seen at various points recently. They had fired at the mail carriers at Otter Lake, and on Thursday five Sioux were seen there, The Chippewas saw their tracks, and the next morning saw the Sioux close to the horses. One of the mail carriers kept his horse tied during the night at a house, and in the morning saw the Sioux. He mounted his horse to ride away and was fired at by them; but escaped. Tarbell stopped at the same house on Friday night. The Sioux watch every trail and crossing in that region.

The party of noblemen who left St. Paul a few days since to hunt Buffalo were met 20 miles this side of Rice River. They were getting along nicely.”

W.G.R. Hind, watercolour, “Hunting Buffalo,” (c. 1863). Source: LAC, Mikan no. 2835755.

“The Hunters,” Nor’-Wester (30 September 1863), 2:

“Return of the Hunters,” Nor’-Wester (28 October 1863), 2:

“The plain hunters have returned from the fall hunt, well loaded. The White Horse Palin and Portage brigades went in the direction of the Souris River, where they found the hunting very good. from Mr. W. Slater we learn that the latter party camped at Red Deer Head, on  bend of the Souris, about a fortnight, and ran buffalo there daily, until they had as much as 76 carts in the brigade could carry. Rev. H. Cochrane, who accompanied the party for the benefit of his health, held services regularly.

The White Horse Plain hunters were a good deal annoyed by a Saulteaux chief at Red Deer Head, and ultimately the affair terminated fatally. The chief was very saucy, and told them they must no go on his hunting ground—that he was master of the plains, the buffalo were his cattle, and the Halfbreeds must not kill them. This he said to them the night of their arrival, and the following morning he appeared, very drunk, spoke in a similar strain, and asked them to remain there a day. They would not agree to do so, but started off when they were ready. The chief  then took out his knife, and stabbed a fine horse belonging to J. Swain, which dropped dead soon afterwards. He also wounded another of the horses with his knife, and ran after one of the hunter, whom he endeavored to strike with his knife several times. Seeing matters come to this serious issue, J. Swain ran after the carts, and, getting his gun, returned to help the man who was chased by the Indian. Swain fired and broke the chief’s right arm, whereupon the latter threw up his blanket and ran to fight Swain; but another shot from the gun of the latter struck him in the breast and killed him.

Subsequently, three of the chief’s relatives overtook the brigade and demanded retribution; but the only satisfaction they received was a thrashing. The father-in-law of the deceased chief went two days’ journey, on foot, to put in his claims for compensation and received a yard of red cloth, some tobacco, &c. This fatal affray occasioned a deal of insecurity, during the remainder of the journey, and may do so until his relatives’ claims are satisfied.”

“Buffalo Robe Stolen,” Nor’-Wester (25 November 1863), 2:

William Armstrong [attributed], watercolour, “Buffalo Meat Drying, White Horse Plains, Red River,” (1899), likely based on a previous work by another artist, or imagined, since Armstrong apparently never left Ontario. Source: LAC, Mikan no. 2833395.

~   •    ~


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s